Print page (Opens in a new window)

Current Position: HOME > Information for Residents & Foreigners > Information > Residence Card Equivalency, Special Permanent Resident Certificate Equivalency

Residence Card Equivalency, Special Permanent Resident Certificate Equivalency

Starting in July 2012, the existing “certificate of alien registration” was changed and special permanent residents were issued a “certificate for special permanent residents”, while mid-to-long term residents were issued a “residence card”.

The period of equivalency is valid until July 8, 2015.

A measure was implemented for a fixed period where a “certificate of alien registration” would be considered equivalent to a “residence card” or “special permanent resident certificate”. However, starting July 8, 2015 this period of equivalency will end.

The following individuals need to apply to exchange their certification by July 8, 2015. If you have not exchanged your “certificate of alien registration”, please finish the application to do so.

・Those whose next confirmation (replacement) application term for their special  permanent residence is before or on July 8, 2015.
・Mid-to-long term residents whose status of residence is "designated activities" and whose period of stay has not expired.
・Permanent residents

The period of validity for “special permanent resident certificate” equivalency:

The period that the “certificate of alien registration” will be considered equivalent to a “special permanent resident certificate” for special permanent residents that were 16 years or older on July 9, 2012, and whose next confirmation (replacement) application period is after July 8, 2015, is until that individual’s birthday, which would have been their next confirmation (replacement) application period.

Please complete your application for a “special permanent resident certificate” by that time.

Applications for “special permanent resident certificates” are handled by the Resident Division of your local Ward Office.

Ward Office Resident Division

Applications cannot be done at branch offices.

Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. on Thursdays.

Ward Office and Branch Office locations (Japanese)

Residence card applications are handled by the Immigration Bureau

Immigration Bureau (Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau, Kitakyushu District Immigration Office)

Immigration Bureau location (external link)

Telephone number for inquiries

Foreign Residence General Information Center

Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.

Tel: 0570-013-904

(For IP telephones・PHS・international calls please use 03-5796-7112)

Immigration Bureau, Information Center, One Stop Consultation Center (external link)

List of places to contact

Location Telephone Number
Moji Ward Office 093-331-1881
Kokurakita Ward Office 093-582-3350
Kokuraminami Ward Office 093-951-4111
Wakamatsu Ward Office 093-761-5321
Yahatahigashi Ward Office 093-671-0801
Yahatanishi Ward Office 093-642-1441
Tobata Ward Office 093-871-1501
Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau, Kitakyushu District Immigration Office 093-582-6195


International Policy Division,
Planning and Coordination Bureau,
1-1 Jonai, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu 803-8501 JAPAN
Tel: 093-582-2146
(International Calling +81-93-582-2146)
Fax: 093-582-2176